Health Checkups in Hong Kong: How Much Does It Cost?
26th June 2023
If you are planning a body check and wonder how much it costs and whether your insurance covers you, you are in the right place. Alea experts tell you everything about medical checkups in Hong Kong.
1 - The basics of body checks (aka health checkups) in Hong Kong
Health checkups help you identify any potential health issue at an early stage before a problem gets worse. Plus, some diseases are not immediately visible and cannot be identified without proper screening. Therefore, even if you feel you are in good health, it is always better to get a check.
Unlike many other places, the Hong Kong public health system does not have recommendations for when various populations should undergo screening tests. Hong Kongers must get body checks in private clinics/hospitals, which are unregulated and unstandardized. Packages and costs thus vary greatly.
How often you should get a health check-up depends on your state of health, your medical history, family history of serious illness and risk factors (smoking, cholesterol…). Most people in Hong Kong get screened at important stages of their lives such as getting married, changing jobs or before conceiving. And even if there is no consensus among doctors in Hong Kong about the frequency, many physicians recommend doing a physical check every year.
Our advisors help you save time, money & worries. Contact us!
2 - Are health checkups covered by health insurance?
Nevertheless, the plans set monetary and time sub-limits which can range between US$500 and $2,000. For instance, an insurance plan may cover health check-ups for up to US$1,000 every 3 years. The time limit is not systematic but frequent. Make sure to check with your insurance provider or your group medical insurance coverage before getting screened.
How Alea can help you save on insurance
3 - What's the cost of a health checkup in Hong Kong's clinics
Here is the prices of health checkup plans in some of Hong Kong's largest medical groups/clinics:
OT&P is a well-known clinic in Hong Kong for both expatriates and locals. Opened in 1994, it is the first clinic to have received in March 2010 the Australian Council of Health Services accreditation approved by the International Society for Quality in Health Care (ISQua).
OT&P offers 4 different packages for medical checkups:
- Standard: HK$5,900
- Comprehensive: HK$9,900
- Ultra: HK$14,900
- Ultra follow up: HK$12,900
Quality HealthCare is one of the largest groups of clinics in Hong Kong, with over 100 multi-speciality centers and more than 1,200 affiliated clinics. In 2018, they won the Customer Service Certificate of Merit delivered by Hong Kong Awards for Industries.
The group offers many kinds of health checkups for women, men, elderly and children. Their cheapest plan is the Flexiplan with a basic health check-up which starts at HK$1,080. Otherwise, checkups' price ranges between:
They also have special packages for cardiovascular health, cancer screening, sexual health, eye examination and bone health screening.
Raffles Medical Group is present throughout Asia in China, Singapore, Japan, Cambodia and Vietnam. It offers different packages from Lifestyle to Premium ones. The prices range for both men and women between HK$2,180 and HK$12,000.
They also have screenings for cancer, premarital assessment, sexual health and women's wellness plan.
4 - What's the cost of a health checkup in a Hong Kong private hospital?
Canossa Hospital offers the following health checkups:
- Women Health Checkup: From HK$3,180 to HK$25,500
- Men Health Checkup: From HK$2,580 to HK$22,800
- Basic checkup: HK$3,380
Click here to see the package details.
Canossa Hospital also provides Coronary risk screening, pre-employment screening and domestic helper checkups.
Evangel Hospital provides 12 different packages that can be topped up with optional items.
- Women Health Checkup: from HK$2,270 to HK$14,050
- Men Health Checkup: HK$2,000 to HK$7,400
To know the details of each package, please click here.
Evangel Hospital also offers: pre-pregnancy screening, pre-marital check-ups, home-helper screening, lung cancer screening and diabetic patient screening.
Gleneagles Hong Kong Hospitals offers 3 different types of package: executive, privilege and platinum. The costs:
- Women Health Checkup: from HK$3,630 to HK$16,690
- Men Health Checkup: from HK$3,630 to HK$16,210
Click here to see the package details.
Hong Kong Adventist Hospital (Stubbs Road) has 5 different packages: classic, advanced, royal, elite and ultimate, plus a Prestige Physical Examination.
- Women Health Checkup: from HK$4,200 to HK$17,860; Prestige Physical Examination: HK$10,080
- Men Health Checkup: from HK$7,300 to HK$11,650
It also provide checkups for: 18th months babies, brain health screening, cardiac assessment, child package and China Visa, Cognitive health assessment, eye screening package, pre-employment and pre-marital checkups.
Hong Kong Adventist Hospital (Tsuen Wan) wellness center offers different comprehensive physical examination packages, as well as other more specific checkup plans for women and men.
- Comprehensive Physical Examination: HK$3,010 (Essential) / $5,990 (Smart) / $9,610 (Elite Male) / $10,610 (Elite Female)
- Women Health Checkup: HK$600 (Basic) / $3,180 (Comprehensive)
- Men Health Checkup: from HK$1,780 (Plan 1)/ $5,280 (Plan 2)
They also offer physical examinations for diabetic and vegetarian people, for pre-marriage and weight management.
Hong Kong Baptist Hospital offers standard male and female packages as well as a men special package and a woman special package.
- Women Health Checkup: from HK$2,580 to HK$10,700
- Men Health Checkup: from HK$2,300 to HK$9,050
- Standard plan: HK$2,300
They also offer cancer screening, pre-marital and pre-pregnancy health checks, as well as China Visa plans.
Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital provides general health assessment schemes and a well woman screening package:
- Health assessment schemes (A): HK$12,600
- Health assessment schemes (B): HK$8,100
- Well woman screening package: from HK$3,010 to HK$4,920
Matilda International Hospital has 3 health assessment packages: diamond premium, platinum and gold, plus well man and well woman packages. The costs:
- Women Health Checkup: from HK$8,400 to HK$25,300
- Men Health Checkup: from HK$8,400 to HK$25,300
They also have a cardiac assessment and health screening for children from 7 to 17 years old.
Matilda International Hospital also offers health screening at its medical center in Central (Suite 502, Prosperity Tower,39 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong).
Please find the details here.
Precious Blood hospital provides 3 levels of health checkup: comprehensive, standard and basic.
- Examination packages: HK$3,905 (Basic) / $6,855 (Standard) / $9,970 (Comprehensive)
- Female health check program: HK$2,780 (Comprehensive) / $5,600 (Sincere)
- Male health check program: HK$1,830 / $3,000
Precious Blood Hospital also provides: employee health check, pre-pregnancy / pre-marital examinations and heart disease check ups.
St. Paul's Hospital offers packages for women and men, as well as pre-marital check-ups and pre-employment assessments.
- Women Health Checkup: from HK$2,920 to HK$8,750
- Men Health Checkup: from HK$2,380 to HK$7,780
St. Teresa's Hospital has different levels of health checkups for both men and women. They also provide cardiovascular and domestic helpers assessments.
- General Health CheckupL from HK$1,650 to HK$8,200
- Women Health Checkup: from HK$1,580 to HK$4,100
- Men Health Checkup: from HK$1,650 to HK$4,800
Union Hospital offers various types of health checkups.
- General Healthcheck Programmes: HK$910 (Basic) / HK$1,370 (Standard) / HK$5,050 (Elite) / HK$9,380 (Supreme Male) / HK$9,920 (Supreme Female) / HK$19,690 (Monarch Male) / HK$20,390 (Monarch Female)
- Men's health screening programme: from HK$890 to HK$4,300
- Well woman programmes: from HK$2,950 to HK$5,960
Union Hospital also provides health assessments for: domestic helpers, professionals drivers and pre-employment / pre-marital check-ups.
CUHK Medical Centre provides below health checkups:
- Health check for both men and women: Basic, Advanced and Premium Plans, and the additional Health Plus Check schemes with opt-in items
- Man: from HK$1,950-5,310
- Woman: from HK$1,950-7,020
- Sleep Health Checkup Programme: HK$1,750
- All amounts are in HKD and were last updated in November 2021. No responsibility is accepted for any inaccuracies, errors, or omissions. It is always best to call ahead to make sure the information is still up-to-date.
What is included in a full body checkup?
A full body checkup usually encompasses items such as:
- blood pressure, blood count
- blood sugar level, uric acid level
- stress test
- BMI (body height and weight)
- vision test
- kidney and liver function test
- cancer marker test
- infectious disease screening (e.g. hepatitis, HIV, syphillis...)
How much is a full body check in Hong Kong?
According to our independent research, a full body check in Hong Kong can cost from around HK$3,000 to over $20,000, depending on the service provider, the location, and the complexity of test items you choose.
Where can I get body checkup in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, body and health checkup programs are hosted mainly by providers in the private sector. You can easily find body checkup packages either at each of the 13 private hospitals in Hong Kong and many private clinics over the territory. Read our guide above for a detailed comparison list of your options.
Our advisors help you save time, money & worries. Contact us!
Do you already have an insurance policy? You could find a better plan!
Alea brings you choice, unbiased advice and outstanding service, with access to 100+ options from 25+ insurance companies. If you already have an insurance policy, switching insurance policies with Alea doesn’t cost you a thing.
Get free quotes with us today.
An advisor will be in touch to answer all your questions!
This article was independently written by Alea and is not sponsored. It is informative only and not intended to be a substitute for professional advice and should never be relied upon for specific advice.